Grandma's Recipe Box: Frozen Fruit Salad and Dressing

I remember one time when I was very young and visiting my grandma for lunch.  She told me to get ice for the glasses.  After I opened the freezer part of the refrigerator, I asked "What is in all these cool whip bowls in the freezer?"  She replied "Fruit salad."  I thought I must have misheard her and she meant fruit from the garden that she choose to freeze rather than can, so I did not press further.  Now I believe she was talking about having put the below recipe into portioned meal servings for her and Grandpa to share.  

Here is a great cold dessert from my Grandma's recipe box that you might want to try out for a family gathering on a hot day.  You may also want to check out Grandma's Orange Pineapple Salad if you like cottage cheese.  Or try other easy recipes from my family members that are cool summer desserts like Ambrosia Salad, Pink Stuff, or "ice box pies" of: Key Lime,  Millionaire, and Cheesecake .

Fruit Salad Dressing Recipe

Ingredients:

1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 Tablespoon flour
1 egg (well beaten)
2 Tablespoons vinegar
3/4 cup pineapple juice

Steps:
  1. Mix ingredients in order given above, stirring well after each addition.
  2. Cook over low heat until thick and smooth, stirring constantly.
  3. Cool before adding to fruit salad.


Frozen Fruit Salad Recipe

Ingredients:

3 ripe bananas
1 cup diced canned diced pineapple
1 cup diced can pears
1 dozen halved maraschino cherries
1 cup fruit salad dressing (recipe above)
1 cup cool whip

Steps:
  1. Mash bananas to a smooth pulp.
  2. Add pineapples, pears, and cherries.
  3. Then add fruit salad dressing dressing and cool whip.
  4. Freeze until hard.







No comments: