Still Fighting the Belly Bulge?

I gave the weekly results that lead to achieving my overall weight-loss goal of 25 pounds in two previous posts.  To be really healthy, waist size matters.  So I need to lose 3 more inches in my waist to hopefully not have that protruding belly bulge we all hate to look down and see. I realize that I mostly I need exercise the abdominal area more to accomplish that.  So I will increase my exercise routine using the video mentioned in phase 2 as my phase 3 fight.  Plus I will continue making the smoothies from phase 1.  The diet in phase 1 reduced carbs, sugar, salt, and caffeine intake then suggested slowly adding favorite items back into phase 2.  For phase 3, besides the smoothies, I will primarily do low-carb (aka Atkins and/or South Beach) eating as my doctor has recommended that healthy-eating style in the past.  Any additional weight drop will be a great bonus, this time I’m striving for the waistline though.  Once my waistline goal is achieved, I will continue only with the walking and watch my weight and waistline to determine when I need to do more. 

Phase 3 GOAL = Lose 3 more inches in waistline and 10 more pounds
Week 13 = Gained 1/2 inch around waist plus lost 0 pounds
Week 14 = Lost 1/2 inch around waist plus lost 2 pounds
Week 15 = Lost 1/2 inch around waist plus 0 pounds
*Week 16 = Lost 0 inches around waist plus 0 pounds (taking steroids for injury)
Week 17 = Lost 1/2 inch around waist plus lost 1 pound
Week 18 = Gained 1/2 inch around waist plus lost 1 pound
Week 19 = Lost 1/2 inch around waist plus lost 1 pound
Week 20 = Lost 0 inches around waist plus 0 pounds
*Week 21 = Lost 1/2 inch around waist plus 2 pounds
*Week 22 = Lost 0 inches around waist plus 1 pounds
*Week 23 = Lost 0 inches around waist plus 2 pounds
*Week 24 = Lost 0 inches around waist plus 1 pounds

*NOTE: I only 2 inches in waist instead of the desired 3, in this second set of 12 weeks. Yet, I’m happy as I did continue to slowly lose 11 pounds instead of just 10.  I thought this was pretty good since injuries and infections during weeks 16, 21-24 kept me from doing floor exercises plus there were some days in there that the doctor said to rest instead of going for my walks.  If I lose the extra inch or more pounds, I will let you know by starting a 4th post on losing the last few inches.

Below are two diet books that my doctor recommended as options for me to stay on track in a heathy way.  He suggested researching the diets and choosing the book based upon what I thought would  work based on the food I prefer so people will stick to the diet.

The Mediterranean Diet (this diet focuses on fresh fruits,  vegetables, nuts and whole grains)

The South Beach Diet (this diet features low carbohydrates and balanced nutrition)

A benefit of the Atkins and/or South Beach diets for working people and those constantly on-the-go are  you may purchase frozen meals, shakes, and packable snacks at many stores or on Amazon.  However, the products can be costly if not on sale.

If you need help setting diet and exercise goals or are looking for packaged meal plans – and you are willing to pay for those services; you may want to check Weight Watchers and/or Nutrisystem.

To check your own Body Mass Index more accurately in order to see if you should consider a diet or exercise program, go to BMI calculator.  

Always consult a doctor before starting a diet or exercise program!

No comments: