Faces in the Mirror


I was putting my hair up before going outside to do yard work.  After I was done, I glanced at the mirror and for a second I thought I saw my grandmother's face framed by streaks of grey.  It made me think about how people used to tell me I looked like my Momma or had my Grandma's disposition.  I thought how proud that used to make me and then I decided to pen the below poem.



Faces in the Mirror
by Shirley Fine Lee (Copyright 07/10/2020m all rights reserved.)


When I was a small child,
I look in the mirror to see
A shy and plain girl
Looking back at me.
Told I look like mom,
But she is so pretty.
Finding an old photo
I asked, "Momma,
Where was this picture of me?"
To which mom replied
"That is not you, sweetie.
It is five-year-old me."

As I grew to a teen,
In the mirror I see
I seem more pretty,
But not as beautiful
As old photos of mom.
I still hear people say
"You look just like your mother."
The this revelation,
We both have smiles on each face.
Secretly wishing I also reflect
Mom's inner beauty and grace,

After I become a mom.
I look in the mirror to see
A glimmer of my mom's face
Smiling back happily at me.
My mom is older now
A Grandma who plays,
Who is always willing
To talk and for awhile stay,
"You are just like me?"
Mom grins and says to me.

Over twenty years pass by,
In the mirror I see
A woman not changed much
By what has happened to me.
Stronger and more confident
In who I am and will be,
Yes, now I can see
There is my mom's face
Smiling back at me,
Mom a great grandma recently.
Mom still laughs and sings,
Wanting only to hold the baby.
Now in mom's face I see
Her grandmother looking at me.
Looks like my great grandma
With the same twinkle in her eyes.
Sometimes now mom talks about
Those loved gone and lost goodbyes.

Another twenty-plus years gone,
I look in the mirror to see
My hair greying and pulled back
My grandma is looking back at me.
My mom has joined her mother
and grandmother in Heaven.
I now embrace them in memory.
Yes, I have some wrinkles
From laughter - not worry.
Getting older does not bother me.
Hoping I also have grandma's
Wisdom, grace, and great faith.
For I grew with love as a legacy.

I believe in another twenty years,
I will look in the mirror and see
My great grandma's face
Will be the one smiling back at me.

No comments: