Where did all the Christmas Nativities go?

Large Yard Nativity Scene
The weekend following Thanksgiving, while I was out running errands, I noticed lots of my neighbors had inflatable snowmen, penguins, or a Santa in their yards.  I remember thinking, “Where did all the Nativities go?”  Has Christmas become just a winter holiday?  Does no one remember that thereason for the season is to celebrate Christ’s birth?

I decided that the reason I see so many inflatable decoration in yards is probably because they are more convenient to put up instead of a multi-piece nativity.  Convenient in not just putting them up but also in buying them, as I cannot remember the last time I saw a yard-size Nativity in a store. This of course made me wonder, do they make an inflatable Nativity I asked my spouse that question just before surfing Amazon to find out.  I found that Amazon does have inflatable Nativities of all sorts!  Not only that, but the next day my husband informed me that he saw an inflated nativity on the next street over on his way home from shopping!  So if the only reason you do not have a nativity in your yard is convenience, then go on-line shopping for one before they are gone!

Last week, I was out driving again and passed several Churches on my way to and from my destination.  Again I wondered, “Where are all the Christmas Nativities?”  Remember when almost every Church displayed a large plastic Nativity in front of their building for the Christmas holidays?  I didn’t see any last week.  Then this week, I was pleasantly surprised, as I passed those same Churches, to see the Nativities had been set-up.  I guess they waited until the first weekend of December when they could get volunteers to help set-up.  A few Churches had the old fashioned light-up plastic versions, others had painted or silhouette Nativity versions in wood, one had a drive-through full-size scene using mannequins, and a few were advertising a date for a live Nativity or Christmas program.  If your Church does not yet have a Nativity on the outside grounds or in their foyer, perhaps you can suggest one or donate a set…

But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be for [f]all the people.  For this day in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.  And this will be a sign for you: you will find a Baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.” Then suddenly there appeared with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among men with whom He is well-pleased.” – Luke 2:10-14 KJV

Thank you to all the Churches and homes that highlight the true meaning for the season: Christ’s birth!

Don't think a nativity scene is important to the family? Read Mom's Christmas Wish story!

No comments: