Grandma's Carrot-Raisin Salad Recipe

I have loved carrot and raisin salad since I was a kid.  It was a sweet way to get me to eat my healthy vegetables as well  as some fruit.  I'm surprised my mom did not make it for us, we only had it at Grandma's.  I guess mom figured she would put time into other food, since all her kids were willing to just grab a carrot or apple from the refrigerator as an anytime snack.  Or maybe it was more that she was afraid of herself or one of her "helpful" kids getting cut if using the grater.  
NOTES:
  • You can make the dessert below with canned oranges or you can use pineapple instead.  My aunt made it with pineapple (love it) and either left out the pecans or used walnuts instead (want buts), but the oranges are yummy too. 
  • This recipe can be served immediately or chilled for adding to the table later.

Carrot-Raisin Salad

Ingredients:

2 cups finely shredded carrots

1/2 cup raisins

1/2 cup chopped pecans

1 small can Mandarin orange segments (or pineapple) chunks

3 or 4 Tablespoons mayonnaise (for dressing so amount is your preference) 

Steps:

  1. Combine carrots, raisins, and nuts.
  2. Drain oranges (or pineapple) and reserve the liquid 
  3. Combine liquid from canned fruit with mayonnaise - using 1 teaspoon of liquid per Tablespoon of mayo to desired taste to dress the salad.
  4. Fold in orange (or pineapple) last.

No comments: