Three Days of Dieting to Lose Ten Pounds? Tuna & Egg

In a 6-exercise video post about possibly gaining weight and not being able to exercise because of long-term knee injury, I mentioned I was going to try the 3-Day Diet To Lose 10 Pounds (see below - aka Kaiser Diet or Military Diet or Tuna/Egg Diet) or back to the 21 Days to a Flatter Stomach Diet if weight loss was required after knee brace was removed.

2019 Phase-2 Knee Brace
Below you can See my personal 3 day results and will see the diet claim is not actually 10 pounds lost in only the 3-days, but over a period of 3 days on, 4 days off, and repeat until weight loss goal is accomplished.  Just because it did not work as single phase for me personally does not mean it will not work for you.  Everyone has a different metabolism and react differently to various foods.  If anyone else has tried the 3-day diet or any of the substitute foods listed for Kaiser or Military versions, feel free to add your results or suggestions in the comments on this post?

3-Day Tuna/Egg Diet
Drinks for each day:
 - At meals = black coffee, unsweetened tea, or water
 - Between meals = drink only water
Day 1 Foods:
 - Breakfast = Grapefruit half or juice, a slice of toast, 1 tablespoon of peanut butter (or 6 almonds)
 - Lunch = 1/2 cup of water-packed tuna (or a packaged cup or pouch) and a slice of dry toast
 - Dinner = 3 oz lean meat, 1 cup green beans, 1 cup beets, a small apple, 1/2 cup vanilla ice cream
Day 2 Foods:
 - Breakfast = 1 egg,  1/2 banana, and a slice of dry toast
 - Lunch = 1 cup of cottage cheese and 5 saltine crackers
 - Dinner = 2  hot dog weiners, 1/2 cup carrots; 1 cup broccoli,  1/2 banana, 1/2 cup vanilla ice cream
Day 3 Foods:
 - Breakfast = 5 saltine crackers; 1 egg, and 4-oz glass of apple juice
 - Lunch =  1 hard-boiled egg, a small apple, and a slice of dry toast
 - Dinner = 1 cup tuna (or regular size can), 1 cup green beans, 1 cup beets, a small apple, 1/2 cup vanilla ice cream

If you are not a fan of eggs or tuna or you really love apples, you may want to try the 5 Day Apple Diet Plan to lose 10 pounds.  On this diet you only eat fish and egg once, bur you have apples at every meal.

Always consult a doctor before starting a diet or exercise program!

See my personal 3 day results

  1. Week 1 = I started diet but did not eat all the food listed as that is more than I am used to eating at dinner.  I lost 3 pounds.   I checked some of the comments on similar diets, many said I had to follow the diet exactly to produce the proper chemical reaction,  I left town for 6-day trip and watched what I ate keeping carbs and sugar low so I did not gain back any of the weight I lost.  So 3 days after my return, I will do a 2nd round (week 2) of the 3-day diet at the end of the week in which I come back. Also started doing 15 minutes on cycle as part of knee therapy before and during trip when possible.
  2. Week 2 = Followed diet exactly, except skipped beets on last day as I was getting full and wanted my daily ice cream instead.  Gotta love a diet that lets you have ice cream for dessert!  I only lost 1 pound.  Rechecked comments on diets and found the people who lost 8-10 pounds on first try were mostly learning to eat less.  On average people said they lost 2-3 pounds, which is not bad for a 3-day diet.  Again, I did not gain any weight back during 4-days off.
  3. Week 3 = Did diet same as first week using a few of the accepted fruit substitutes.  Lost another 2 pounds.  I also added 15 minutes of walking each day this week.  My goal is 9 pounds total, so I still need to lose 3 more pounds. After this 4-day break, I should be  about 21-days in- so Around the same time and approximate weight-loss as my previous good diet also noted above.  Unfortunately, I plateaued on that one some time ago, so I needed to jump-start loss with something different before I can do try that one again.  Will try 3-day next week to see if I can get the last 3 pounds off.
  4. Week 4 =  Followed food choices exactly, although I did switch meal times around on 2nd day.  I lost 1.5 pounds.  I did increase my walk time to 20 minutes and continued knee cycling.  Everything fits better now.
  5. Week 5 = Followed food choices as close as possible and drank more tea than in other weeks.  I also increased my walk time to 30 minutes  I lost 2.5 pounds, so I exceeded my total goal and finally hit the 10 pound promise.
Notes:
  • I did not think to measure waist inches like I did for 21-day diet.  However, I was not trying to lose as much this time, just get my jeans to fit right again.  At the end of the first week of 3-days, they were already comfortable again.
  • The ice creams I tried on diet were Breyers brand.  Started with Carb Smart (90 calories, 12 carbs) then got No-Sugar (80 calories, 13 carbs) when that ran out.  Preferred the taste of the first version, although both were good and satisfied the desire for something sweet.
  • For green beans, I bought a regular size can and divided the contents in half for myself  This way I had 1 serving on day 1 and refrigerated the 2nd portion of green beans for day 3. 
  • My trial period ran early May to late June.  Diet days were Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.  Although I listed diet as weeks above, it is really only 15 (5x3) days of dieting and 20 (5x4) days of eating smart.
  • In case you are wondering about how I got the half-pounds, I used a digital scale so I was able to more accurately measure the weight loss.
2020 Boot for Broke Bone in Foot
P.S.  A year after dislocating my knee, I broke my foot and gained 10 pounds, due to being unable to walk for 3 months.  I tried this tuna/egg diet 3 times to lose it.  Any lost weight come back within following 2 weeks.  So I went back to the 21-day diet and lost most of those 10 pounds.  I will repeat the 21-day diet a second time to see how much more I might lose and this time keep off.

No comments: