Is There Meaning in the Rainbow Colors?

In the past few decades, the meaning of the rainbow and its colors has been used for various purposes.  Not everyone agrees on the meanings of the colors or the use of the rainbow as a symbol.  Recently, I wondered what is the true meaning of the rainbow?  For answers I looked in the Bible and on the WWW.

And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: I do set my [rain]bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth. And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the [rain]bow shall be seen in the cloud: And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh. And the [rain]bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth. - Genesis 9:12-16 KJV

In the Bible, it tells us the meaning of the rainbow is a promise from God that he will not destroy the earth via flood again to punish man’s sins. (See above scripture and this simplified version.)  That does not mean we will never see torrential rains, floods, hurricanes, tsunamis, etc.  Instead it means he will choose another method, if necessary, to return mankind from excessive sin back towards God.  (Reveiw more rainbow verses.)

The above covers the rainbow in the sky as a symbol.  What about the meanings of colors within the Bible?  Other ways colors of the rainbow (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo denim,  and violetare interpreted or used in man’s world exist as well. There are those who use the colors to signify personality traits or moods, We use those color concepts to determine how to decorate based on these theories and for artwork and printing.  We also utilize seasonal color schemes to determine what we should wear.  Ok, looks like I have gone adrift of the rainbow somewhat just like others have done… Sorry. 


Going back to rainbows, science may show us how they occur naturally in papers and videos.   Just because we can explain how rainbows happen, does not change that it is a message or a reminder of a promise from God to mankind.

Looking for a Bible-based rainbow drawing to color?  Download from My Favorite Color is Rainbow from  Hope Ink blog.  Speaking of coloring, ever wonder about those pretty circular drawings in adult coloring books? Check out Adult Coloring and Meditation – What Every Christian Should Know.

No comments: