How to Attach Clasps to Jewelry Creations or Replace if Beads Break near Clasp

When I made my jewelry in Beads and Beading are the IN Things to do post, I had gone to a class and the instructor sold me some nifty screw-together instant crimpers/closures for finishing the wire at the clasps.  The store no longer sells these closures and I do not know what they were called so I have not found them on-line either.  Therefore, I needed alternate ways to attach my claps. I went back to Michaels when they had an “expert jewelry maker” Q&A session to learn different ways to put on clasps from what I learn originally in beading class.  She showed me a few things and then suggested I search YouTube for helpful how to videos as refreshers.  

If you have old beads that broke, like in my beading post above, you will have to re-string them and then use one of these methods to reattach old clasps or add new ones if the clasp broke or got lost.

Please note that some of the links below may take you to Amazon to view an item.  As an Amazon Associate, I only get tiny commissions if you buy the item - so feel free just to view what I am talking about for your own information only.  Many of the items in links may also be bought at craft stores.

Below are 2 good videos I found there.  The first one is very detailed step-by-step at 6+ minutes using crimping beads or tubes, which are extra findings you will need to purchase and may require special jewelry crimp tool.  You can stop at the crimps if you are making/repairing the jewelry for yourself.  If you are doing it for someone else to to sell, you will want to add the crimp cover on the bead-style crimp so it looks more professional.   The second  video is over 1 minute and requires no extra findings as it is doing wire wrapping on end or necklace or bracelet.   Both methods can also be used for attaching dangles made on head pins to earring hooks.



No comments: