Grandma's Recipe Box: Strawberry Pie

My grandmother and my mother were both known as excellent cooks and avid recipe collectors.  Before my grandmother passed away in 2006, my mom and her sisters cleaned out her house.  Different ones wanted various memorabilia of the parents.  My mom wanted her mother's (my grandma) recipes and some of her Guardian Service cookware to add to her own.  One of the items she took home was a small metal treasure chest containing handwritten recipes.

When I was going through my mom's things after her death in 2015, I found the recipe box (pictured here).  I promised my cousins and my nieces I would some day compile the recipes on this blog.  I also promised, if possible, to publish a few of the recipes in her handwriting.  If you follow the blog, you will notice how her handwriting changes a little as grandma got older.  However, some recipes in the recipe box are in the handwriting of daughters, sisters, and friends who gave grandma the recipe.

I have already published some of the recipes my mother and grandmother have given me on this blog in the past.  I am still looking for some of their recipes I remember from old church cookbooks and my relatives.  So if you are reading this blog and have a recipe you do not see here, please send me a copy.  Thanks in advance.

Since I am starting the recipe series in the summer, I thought it made sense to start with something easy, cool, and short.  So I am sharing her recipe for the Strawberry Pie I used to enjoy when my family went to Furr's Cafeteria when I was young.

Strawberry Pie Recipe

Ingredients:

1 baked pie shell (cooled)
1 quart fresh strawberries (washed & green removed)
Filling:
  1 cup sugar
  3 Tablespoons corn starch
  3 Tablespoons strawberry jello
  1 cup hot water

Steps:
  1. Mix together and cook filling ingredients until clear.
  2. Place cleaned strawberries in cooked crust and pour cooked filling over them.
  3. Refrigerate and add whipped topping (Cool Whip or real whipping cream) just before serving.

No comments: