Salmon Patties or Loaf Recipes

Whenever I would have lunch with my grandma, she would typically make salmon patties or tuna salad since she knew I liked the way she made both of those.  I asked her secret to the  great taste of her salmon patties.  She told me it was tuna!  She mixed canned tuna in with the salmon.

One time after my grandma had gone to Heaven, I mentioned to my husband how I wish I could have some of her salmon patties again.  So he tried to make me some as a surprise.  He did not know the secret ingredient and discovered he did not like going to the trouble of frying.  So the next time he tried to make it he found a salmon loaf recipe that I ended up liking, even though it is not the same. Below are his loaf recipe and a recipe similar to my grandma’s patties.

Salmon and Tuna Patties Recipe
Ingredients:
1 large can (approx. 15 oz) salmon, drained and flaked
2 small cans (approx. 5 oz) tuna, drained
1 small box (approx. 10 oz) of saltine crackers, crushed
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup flour for dusting
2 Tablespoons cooking oil for frying
Directions:
1.     Mix salmon, tuna, crushed saltines, and egg together with your hands in a large bowl; shape into patties. Lightly dust the patties with flour.
2.     Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
3.     Place patties into the hot oil.  Cover skillet and fry until crispy - between 10 - 15 minutes per side.

Salmon Loaf Recipe
Ingredients:
1 can cream of celery soup
1 large can salmon
1 cup bread crumbs
2 slightly beaten eggs
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
½ cup chopped onion
Directions:
1.     Drain salmon and remove bones, skin, etc.
2.     Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix well.
3.     Place mixture into well-greased loaf pan.
4.     Bake at 375 degrees for one hour or until well browned.
5.     Let cool for 10 minutes.  Remove from pan and serve.

No comments: